Skip to main content

Meeting in the middle; or fudging model II regression with nls

My colleague Karen needed an equation to predict trunk diameter given tree height, which she hoped to base on measurements of trees in semi-arid Australian woodlands. This is the dark art of allometry and a quick google found a large number of formulae that have been used in different studies of tree dimensions. No problem: I started to play with a few of them and eventually settled on this one:

dbh = exp( b0 + b1 / (b2 + h) )
where: dbh is trunk diameter at breast height; h is tree height.

Karen also needed to do reverse predictions, ie. predict a tree's height given its trunk diameter. Again no problem, the inverse equation is simply:

height = b1 / (log( dbh ) - b0) - b2

But then, the pièce de résistance: the forward predictions had to agree with the reverse predictions, ie. if plugging height h into the forward equation gave trunk diameter d, then plugging d into the reverse equation should get you back to h. Karen pointed out that this seemed to be a Model II regression problem because as well as needing symmetric predictions, both variables were subject to measurement error.

R has at least two packages with Model II regression functions: lmodel2 and smatr, but both seemed to be restricted to a single predictor (I'd be interested to hear if I'm wrong about that). Meanwhile, the trusty nls function seemed to do a good job of fitting the forward and reverse equations while dealing with the pattern of variance displayed by the tree data (mu^3).

A solution arrived in the form of this post in the r-help list archive explaining how the coefficients from the forward and reverse fits could be combined by taking their geometric mean to arrive at a form of Model II regression. We tried this and it appeared to work nicely.
The plot above shows the separate fits, plus the combined fit which does indeed give symmetric predictions, for one of the tree species.


Popular posts from this blog

Fitting an ellipse to point data

Some time ago I wrote an R function to fit an ellipse to point data, using an algorithm developed by Radim Halíř and Jan Flusser1 in Matlab, and posted it to the r-help list. The implementation was a bit hacky, returning odd results for some data. A couple of days ago, an email arrived from John Minter asking for a pointer to the original code. I replied with a link and mentioned that I'd be interested to know if John made any improvements to the code. About ten minutes later, John emailed again with a much improved version ! Not only is it more reliable, but also more efficient. So with many thanks to John, here is the improved code: fit.ellipse <- function (x, y = NULL) { # from: # # # Least squares fitting of an ellipse to point data # using the algorithm described in: # Radim Halir & Jan Flusser. 1998. # Numerically stable direct least squares fitting of ellipses. …

Build an application plus a separate library uber-jar using Maven

I've been working on a small Java application with a colleague to simulate animal movements and look at the efficiency of different survey methods. It uses the GeoTools library to support map projections and shapefile output. GeoTools is great but comes at a cost in terms of size: the jar for our little application alone is less than 50kb but bundling it with GeoTools and its dependencies blows that out to 20Mb.

The application code has been changing on a daily basis as we explore ideas, add features and fix bugs. Working with my colleague at a distance, over a fairly feeble internet connection, I wanted to package the static libraries and the volatile application into separate jars so that he only needed to download the former once (another option would have been for my colleague to set up a local Maven repository but for various reasons this was impractical).

A slight complication with bundling GeoTools modules into a single jar (aka uber-jar) is that individual modules make ext…

Circle packing with R

To visualize the results of a simulation model of woodland trees within R, I needed an algorithm that could arrange a large number of circles within a rectangle such that no two circles overlapped by more than a specified amount. A colleague had approached this problem earlier by sorting the circles in order of descending size, then randomly dropping each one into the rectangle repeatedly until it landed in a position with acceptable overlap.

I suspected a faster and more robust algorithm could be constructed using some kind of "jiggling the circles" approach. Luckily for me, I discovered that Sean McCullough had written a really nice example of circles packing into a cluster using the Processing language. Sean's program is based on an iterative pair-repulsion algorithm in which overlapping circles move away from each other. Based on this, and modifying the algorithm a little, I came up with an R function to produce constrained random layouts of a given set of circles. He…